Show Your Scottish Pride With Highland Tartan Kilts
When it comes to traditional Scottish attire, the tartan kilt is undoubtedly the most recognizable and iconic item. It's rich history, cultural significance, and enduring popularity make it a timeless piece of clothing that has stood the test of time.
The kilt has been worn by Scottish men for centuries, originally as a practical garment for hunting and battle, but eventually evolving into a symbol of national identity and pride.
Today, tartan kilts were worn at formal events, weddings, and other special occasions, as well as by those who simply want to display their Scottish heritage and connection to their roots.
What is a Highland Tartan Kilt?
The Highland kilt is a type of skirt that is traditionally worn by men in Scotland. It is made from tartan, a woven cloth that features a distinctive pattern of criss-crossed horizontal and vertical stripes in various colors. The exact pattern of tartan can vary depending on the clan or family that the wearer belongs to, with each clan having its own unique design.
The kilt is typically worn with a sporran, a pouch that hangs from the front of the waistband and serves as a practical accessory for carrying small items. It is also worn with a small knife that is tucked into the top of the wearer's sock, and a kilt pin, which is used to keep the layers of the kilt in place.
History of the Highland Tartan Kilt
The history of the Highland kilt dates back to the 16th century, when it was first worn by Scottish Highlanders as a practical garment for hunting and battle. The early kilt was made from a length of woolen cloth that was wrapped around the body and secured with a belt. Over time, the garment evolved into the pleated, skirt-like garment that we know today.
During the 18th century, the Highland kilt became a symbol of Scottish national identity and pride. It was worn by soldiers in the Scottish regiments of the British Army, and was also adopted by civilians as a way to display their Scottish heritage. However, following the Jacobite rebellion of 1745, the wearing of Highland dress was banned by the British government, and the kilt was only worn in private or at illegal gatherings.
It wasn't until the 19th century that the Highland kilt began to regain its popularity and cultural significance. The Victorian era saw a renewed interest in all things Scottish, and the kilt was embraced as a symbol of Scottish identity and tradition. Today, the Highland kilt is recognized as a beloved symbol of Scottish culture, and is worn with pride by Scots all over the world.
Types of Highland Tartan Kilts
There are several different types of tartan kilts, each with its own unique characteristics and history. Some of the most popular types of Highland tartan kilts include:
- The Great kilt: Also known as the belted plaid, the great kilt is the oldest and most traditional form of Highland dress. It is made from a single length of tartan that is pleated and wrapped around the body, with the excess fabric draped over the shoulder and secured with a brooch. The great kilt was originally worn as a practical garment for hunting and battle, and was later adopted as a symbol of Scottish identity.
- The small kilt: Also known as the modern kilt, the small kilt is the most common type of Highland kilt worn today. It is made from a shorter length of tartan that is pleated at the back and secured at the waist with a belt. The small kilt is more practical and versatile than the great kilt, and is often worn at formal events and special occasions.
- The dress kilt: The dress kilt is a formal version of the small kilt that is worn at special events such as weddings, formal dinners, and other formal occasions. It is made from finer woolen cloth and is usually accompanied by a jacket, waistcoat, and tie.
Wearing a Highland Tartan kilt
Wearing a Highland kilt is more than just putting on a piece of clothing – it is a way of connecting with Scottish heritage and culture. For many Scots, wearing a kilt is a source of pride and identity, and is a way of displaying their connection to their roots.
If you are interested in wearing a Highland kilt, there are a few things to keep in mind. Firstly, it is important to choose the right tartan for your clan kilt. Each tartan pattern is associated with a specific clan or family, so it is important to research your own family history to determine which tartan is most appropriate for you.
When wearing a clan kilts, it is important to remember that it is a formal garment that should be treated with respect. It should be worn with pride, but also with a sense of dignity and decorum.
Why Buy a kilt from Fashion kilt?
Fashion Kilt is a well-known and trusted brand in the world of kilts, offering a wide range of quality mens kilts and accessories at affordable prices. Here are some reasons why you should consider buy a kilt from Fashion Kilt:
- Quality craftsmanship: Fashion Kilt uses only the highest quality materials and employs skilled artisans to create their kilts and accessories. Each kilt is handcrafted with attention to detail and precision to ensure that it meets the highest standards of quality.
- Affordable prices: While some kilts can cost thousands of dollars, Fashion Kilt offers a range of kilts at affordable prices, without sacrificing quality or craftsmanship. This makes it easy for anyone to own a Highland kilt without breaking the bank.
- Wide range of styles: Fashion Kilt offers a wide range of kilts to suit any occasion or personal style, from casual utility kilts to formal dress kilts. They also offer a range of accessories such as sporrans, jackets, and kilt pins, to complete your look.
- Customization options: Fashion Kilt offers customization options, allowing you to choose your preferred tartan, size, and style to create a truly unique and personalized kilt. This is particularly useful if you do not have a specific clan or family tartan, or if you want to create a kilt that reflects your personal style.
- Customer satisfaction: Fashion Kilt is committed to ensuring customer satisfaction by providing excellent customer service, fast shipping, and easy returns. They also offer a lifetime warranty on their kilts, giving you peace of mind knowing that your investment is protected.
In summary, if you are looking for a high-quality, affordable, and personalized Highland kilt, Fashion Kilt is a great option. With their commitment to quality craftsmanship, wide range of styles and customization options, and excellent customer service, you can trust that you are getting the best value for your money.
The Highland kilt is a beloved symbol of Scottish culture and heritage, and is a powerful way of connecting with one's roots and identity. Whether worn at special events, weddings, or other occasions, the kilt is a timeless piece of clothing that has stood the test of time and remains a beloved symbol of Scottish pride and tradition. So if you are looking to display your Scottish heritage and connect with your roots, consider donning a Highland kilt – it is sure to be a memorable and meaningful experience.
Here are some frequently asked questions about Highland kilts:
- What is a Highland kilt?
A Highland kilt is a traditional Scottish garment that is worn by men and women. It is made from tartan fabric and consists of a pleated skirt, a sporran (a pouch that is worn around the waist), a sgian dubh (a small knife that is worn in the sock), and a kilt pin (a decorative pin that is worn on the front of the kilt).
- How do I choose the right tartan for my kilt?
Each tartan is associated with a specific clan or family, so it is important to research your family history to determine which tartan is most appropriate for you. If you do not have a specific clan or family tartan, you can choose a universal tartan or a tartan that has personal significance to you.
- Can women wear Highland kilts?
Yes, women can wear Highland kilts. There are kilts specifically designed for women that are cut in a more feminine style and can be worn with a variety of tops and accessories.
- Can I wear a Highland kilt to any occasion?
While the kilt can be worn for a variety of occasions, it is important to choose the right type of kilt for the occasion. The utility kilt is appropriate for casual wear, while the dress kilt is suitable for formal occasions such as weddings and formal dinners.
- How do I care for my Highland kilt?
Highland kilts should be dry cleaned or hand washed in cold water. They should be hung to dry and ironed on a low setting. It is important to store the kilt in a cool, dry place to prevent damage to the fabric.
- Do I need to wear anything under my Highland kilt?
It is a matter of personal preference, but traditionally, nothing is worn under the kilt except for underwear. Some people prefer to wear shorts or leggings for added comfort and modesty.
- Can I wear a kilt if I am not Scottish?
Yes, anyone can wear a Highland kilt regardless of their nationality. However, it is important to respect and understand the cultural significance of the kilt and its associated traditions.
- How do I properly wear a Highland kilt?
The kilt should be worn at the natural waistline, with the pleats at the back and the flat apron at the front. The sporran should be worn just below the waistline, and the sgian dubh should be worn in the right sock. The kilt pin should be worn on the front apron, and the jacket or waistcoat should be buttoned up to the neck.
- Where can I buy a Highland kilt?
Highland kilts can be purchased from a variety of sources, including specialty shops, online retailers like Fashion kilt and Scottish kilt shop. It is important to do your research and choose a reputable seller who can provide quality kilts and accessories.